Subject: Re: TASKING?
From: Ernie Wright <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 03:19:47 -0400 (EDT)

[Note:  Yes, this is the same reply I posted to the newsgroup.  How do
people feel about this kind of weird cross-posting?  I don't like it.]

John Sonedecker asked:

> What will Lightwave's AVI. support be, and how does AVI files differ
> from FLC's?

AVI (audio/video interleaved) files contain full-color animations and
use several, mostly lossy, compression schemes similar to JPEG/MPEG.
FLCs are a lot like Amiga ANIMs--in fact the same guy, Jim Kent, has
been associated with both formats.  FLCs contain 8-bit (256 color)
animations compressed with lossless delta and run-length encoding.

AVI is one of the image formats supported by HIIP, the image loader and
saver package that will ship with LW.  We haven't had a chance to play
with it much yet, so I can't say what the extent of that support will
be, but it appears that the saver is a black box--you won't be able to
set things like the codec, data rate, keyframe rate, image quality and
so on.

- Ernie

--
Ernie Wright <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]